So I had this meal on the menu this week because I was trying to mix things up a bit so that I don't get board and this was totally AMAZING!! It's a must try and a great clean meal the family will enjoy. My hubby went for seconds. I always know if he likes something or not but the amount of times he gets up to get more. If he only goes up one time I know it's not a favorite of his. HA. Can any other Wife relate? This is a winner! Totally hit the spot and I know you will love it too. It's good to mix things up and get creative so you don't resort back to the junk. This felt like a cheat.
- 1lb lean ground turkey
- 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese (low fat)
- 1 cup of cottage cheese
- 1 cup of clean salsa
- 1/2 cup of black beans
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp taco seasoning
- 4 low carb whole wheat tortillas, cut into strips (I like the santa fe wraps from costco)
- Preheat over to 400 degrees.
- In a skillet pan sprayed with nonstick spray, cook the ground turkey and onion until brown. Once cooked turn to low and add salsa, black beans and taco seasoning and mix together. Set aside
- In a bowl, combine 3/4 cup of the cheddar cheese and the cup of cottage cheese.
- In a baking dish sprayed with nonstick spray, line the pan with 1/2 of the tortilla strips. Scoop 1/2 of the meat mixture on top and spread out, covering the tortillas. Then add 1/2 of the cheese mix on top of the meat and spread. Repeat the layers again with remaining strips, meat, and cottage cheese. Top with remaining cheese.
- Cover and bake for 40 minutes and enjoy! Makes 4 servings at 350 calories each.