Hmmmmmm, NOT QUITE!! ....
I've gone over the Clean Eating Diet Basics in my previous blog .. so if you haevn't read that and still think like the girl above. GO there first!! :)
Now it's time to dig in and start discussing forming meal plans based on the clean eating principals. I believe that the you should Eat Clean and Train dirty to get the best possible heath and fitness results. It's that simple! I know that many of you (me previously) need someone to sit down with you and tell you exactly how to form your meal plan and exactly what you need to eat to get the best results. Meal planning can be overwhelming. I KNOW! I've been there ... So I'm here to help you and share my knowledge with you. After months of doing I can finally say I've got the whole Clean Eating thing DOWN!
So here we go .....
Every Sunday, I sit down with my pen and paper and I plan out my week. I look over my calender and see what I have going on for the week and I plan all of my meals around it. This is the BEST and proven way to have success. It's simple really if you think about it and will save you money. You plan your menu and then grocery shop Sunday for all the stuff you need. You then go home and prep anything you might need for the week. If you are a busy Mom on the go then you may need to cook up some Chicken breast Sunday to throw in to wraps or Salads during the week. You can also make a big pot of Turbofire Chili (one of my favs), portion it out and have it for lunches during the week. Pick your favorite meals and cook a few of them and portion them out. It really depends on how much time you have during the week to cook. If you are low on time then cook your meals Sunday.
If you use Sunday as your prep day each week you will be successful as long as you stick to your plan. Many times we fail because we simply dont' plan ahead and it gets late and we end up picking up fast food. Now, you can have everything ready and throw it in your cooler.
A typical day for me would look like this :
I wake up in the morning ( I'm still working on trying to be an early morning riser and get my workouts in before my girls wake up but i haven't been able to do that yet. I know if I REALLY wanted to I would... so for now .... It is what it is! )
I drink bottle of water with lemon squeezed in it. I LOVE lemon water and it's so good for you. There are many reason it's a good idea to start the day off with a good ol' glass of Lemon water.
1. It keeps skin clear and glowing.
2. Gives our digestive system a kick start.
3. Helps with weight loss and will help you stay fuller longer
4. It will help you control your Coffee habit and wake you up naturally. If you still feel you need coffee after go for it. First drink your Lemon water. You may be surprised.
5. It helps you kick Cokes/Pop(for you Yanks) to the curb. Add a ton of ice and Lemon and it will help with Coke cravings.
Okay, Now that we have sprung out of bed and have had our lemon water it's not time for some breakfast.
It's extremely important that you have breakfast with in an hour of waking. Your body has just gone 7-8 hours with out food and it needs fuel to get going and ready for the day. Just like your car can't go with out gas .. well neither can you. Eat with in an hour to prevent your body from going into starvation mode. Breakfast will set your whole day up for success. I know many of you have said that you just can't eat in the morning well, for your own sake ... SUCK IT UP and eat something!! This is why Shakeology is PERFECT. It's a shake that you make quick and then just drink it. No thinking put in to it. If you are interested in knowing more about Shakeology contact me!
So, have breakfast!! And NO, I don't mean have a sugary doughnut or cereal and loose weight ... it doesn't work like that. You need to fuel your body with good eats.
My typical breakfast is Shakeology. I make my girls breakfast and blend up my shake while I'm doing that. My favorite is Chocolate blended with unsweetened vanilla almond milk, half a banana, handful of ice, pb2 (powdered peanut butter), and some water. Blend it up.. and enjoy. Healthiest meal of the day and I don't even have to think about it.
However ever if you don't have Shakeology some other good options are
1. Oatmeal. Not the sugary kind in the box. Get Quaker Original Oats in the can and add in some unsweetened vanilla almond milk, toss in the microwave, and mix with cinnamon and sliced apples, Blue berries, peaches, or any fruit of your choice, sprinkle of flax seed, and wheat germ to keep you full longer.
Pair this up with a protein such as adding in some Vanilla Protein powder or Have 2-3 Scrambled egg wites or boiled egg whites.
2. Make an Egg White Omelet. Get the Egg White beaters and pour in the pan, add in your favorite veggies, a sprinkle of light cheese, or my favorite feta. My all time favorite omelet is Feta and Spinach. It's amazing and I like to add some Hot Sauce on top. Perfect breakfast made in only Min's.
3. Egg White Burrito.Saute some Onions, bell pepers, and spinach in a pan with a drop of olive oil. Then add in your egg whites and some black beans. Sprinkle a bit of light cheese and throw it in a whole wheat tortilla. You can even make these ahead of time and have them ready for the week.
2-3 hours later ........
It's time for your AM snack. If you are forgetful and aren't use to eating through out the day. SET AN ALARM ON YOUR PHONE so that you remember to eat. It's important to keep your metabolism going. So you are burning calories all day long.
My favorite AM snack is an apple and a little bag of 100 cal all natural almonds. Anytime I go anywhere I always throw an apple, a bag of almonds, and a bottle of water into my purse. It's saved me so many times.
I've also heard that the coco and dark chocolate 100 call almonds are good too and I can't wait to add that in. Yum! That's good for curving your sweet tooth too.
Some other snack ideas if you aren't a fan of apples and almonds or just want some variety is
1. 20 grapes and a light cheese stick
2. Cottage cheese, cinnamon sprinkled on top, and a sliced apple or even just cottage cheese and strawberries. Get the Light Cottage cheese.
3. Strawberries and a handful of cashews
4. Greek Yogurt, drizzle of agave nectar or honey, and some chopped fruit.
5. Sliced Banana, 1tbs of peanut butter, and a whole wheat tortilla. Spread the peanut butter on the tortilla and place the banana in it, roll up, and enjoy. (Another one of my favs)
So after that set your alarms again ... and DRINK YOUR WATER.
LUNCH TIME 2-3 hours later. When i first started my clean eating journey I would literally STARE at the clock and wait to have my snack or meal. Once you get in the groove of it it comes to you like second nature and your body is use to eating this way. It lets you know when it's time to eat. TRUST ME!
For lunch I typically have something simple. I'm at home with my children and this is usually the time I work out while my daughter is napping. I get my workout in and afterwards I will make something fast or have leftovers.
Here are a few ideas. However, if you are in the office during the day I strongly suggest prepping your lunches Sunday and having them packed for the week. I even bake some chicken breast or grill them to use during the week.
1. Grilled Chicken Wrap with Feta, tomatoes, spinach, avocado, and a drizzle of balsamic vinaigrette.
2. Same as above, except on a bed of lettuce or baby spinach. I like to add black beans and red onion into my salads.
3. Leftovers from the night before or I make a big batch of Soup, Turbo Chili, or taco soup. Sometimes I even make some ground turkey meat and add in onions, black beans, and a sprinkle of low sodium taco seasoning to throw into salads with salsa on top or I throw it in a whole wheat tortilla for a burrito.
4. I also LOVE making egg white burritos for lunch. ALL TIME FAV. I scramble up some egg whites with black beans and a sprinkle of light cheese Once that is done I grab a whole wheat tortilla and spread 1tbs of hummus, throw in the egg mixture, and top with avocado. FAV .. Awesome .. and quick.
Find what works for you ....
DRINK WATER ... PLAY WITH MY GIRLS ...DO some Coaching Duties .......
2-3 hours later ... PM SNACK TIME!
I'm a girl of habit and once I find something that I like i tend to stick to it for awhile.
My PM snack has been baby carrots and 2tbs of hummus for 6 months now. ha ha ... I enjoy it. It's good and if you haven't heard of hummus TRY IT! It's made with Chickpeas and an excellent source of protein.
Some other good ideas are
1. Zucchini Chips
Slice a zucchini thin, drizzle some sea salt and tiny bit of olive oil, and toss in the oven till crispy.
2. 2 Quiche Muffins
Ingredients:Olive Oil Spray (Pure Olive Oil)
4 scallions (or green onions), minced
2 carrots, shredded
1/2 red bell pepper, minced
1/2 zucchini, shredded
14 egg whites
4 whole eggs
1/2 tsp basil
1/4 tsp oregano
Dash of sea salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Coat a 12-muffin tin with a small amount of olive oil spray to prevent sticking.
2. Combine vegetables in a big bowl. Fill each muffin tin 2/3 full with vegetables
3. Whisk eggs and seasonings in a large mixing bowl.
4. Use a 1/3-measuring cup for the egg mixture and pour slowly into each muffin tin. Egg mixture should fill tin the rest of the way. Bake for 30 minutes or until muffins have risen and are slightly browned. Serve
3. or any of the above snacks listed in the AM. Just try not to overdue it on the fruit because it's HIGH in sugar. I usually have my fruit in the morning. I have 1/2 a banana in my morning Shakeology and then an apple at my AM snack. My PM snack tends to be protein and veggies.
Time to COOK DINNER!!!
2-3 Hours later ....
Look up any good clean eating recipes that you can find. My favorite magazines are
Oxygen and The clean eating magazine.
Both awesome reads if you want to learn more about clean eating and find some yummy recipes to try out. Remember PORTION CONTROL! If you are going to have a cup of soup or chili have about a cup. If you are still hungry DRINK WATER and have a side salad. You can always add in more veggies if hungry and if you are lifting weights and feel like you need more protein add a bit more.
Portion control is a big thing. We can make Healthy Meals but if we are overeating we are defeating the purpose.
Above is a good guide to go by ...
I hope that this post has helped you learn a bit more about clean eating and how to create your meal plans.
I'm here for each and every one of you if you have any more questions, or need more tips, or just some of my favorite recipes. Message me!
I'm here for you .....